• Pregelatinized Barley Flakes have been produced specifically for brewing, developing characteristics necessary for
easy and efficient use in a brewhouse. The process of gelatinizing makes the starches readily soluble and digestible
by the naturally occurring enzymes in barley malt. This allows the flakes to be incorporated directly into the mash
with other grains.
• Because flakes have a large surface area and are pre-cooked, they hydrate and disintegrate quickly. Filtration time
will be normal.
• There is no need to mill Barley Flakes. However, they can be put through the mill if that is the easiest means of
adding them to the mash.
• Use Barley Flakes as an adjunct in all-grain brews to produce a lighter colored finished beer without lowering the
• Use in place of corn as an adjunct to eliminate corn flavor in the finished beer.
• Use at 10-25% of total grist to produce a light colored, mild flavored, dry beer.